Thursday, November 8, 2012

More Reason Not to Trust Scripture Scholars

Okay, that's being a little facetious.  (and that was being vain in using a big word)  Some Scripture scholars aren't worth trusting... see the NAB and an old post on this blog on 1 Tim 13:15.

I have a tiny, pocket-sized version of the KJV Bible.  It has the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. I have it at work, and I read it occasionally.  Yesterday, I read through Psalm 89 and found a very interesting line:

"For who in heaven can be compared unto the LORD?  who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD?  God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints..." (Ps 89:6-7)

(screeching to a halt)

Wait, this is the Protestant translation par excellence (there's that vanity again) and it mentions the assembly of the saints?  Just for kicks, I looked up the wording in the other translations that I have on hand.

RSV-CE (my translation of choice)
"For who in the skies can be compared to the LORD?  Who among the heavenly beings is like the LORD..."

a newer KJV that I don't know what version it is other than I got from a Mormon...
"For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD?  Who among the sons of the mighty can be likened to the LORD?"

New Jerusalem
"Who in the skies can compare with Y----h?  Who among the sons of god (little g) can rival him?"

NAB
"The heavens proclaim your wonders, O LORD, and your faithfulness, in the assembly of the holy ones.  Who is like the LORD among the sons of God (big G)?"

Douay-Rheims
"The heavens shall confess thy wonders, O LORD, and thy truth in the church of the saints.  For who in the clouds can be compared to the LORD: or who among the sons of God shall be like to God?"

Both highlighted phrases seem to refer to each other, according to the footnote in one of the translations.  Isn't it interesting how those versions came out so different?  I'm afraid I don't really have a conclusion or any other insights.  The only thing that makes me give scholars a break is that Hebrew is tremendously difficult to translate--Hebrew and English are very, very different languages.  One of the interesting parts of past Bible studies has been the use of different translations... some good, some bad.  All illuminating, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment