Sunday, May 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Pentecost!


For more quick takes that were actually submitted on time, see Jennifer Fulwiler's excellent blog at www.conversiondiary.com.

After Mass last week, I realized how little I was in touch with the Holy Spirit.  I've been confirmed, and I do things that involve the Holy Spirit (sacraments, praying in general, etc.) but how much do I really involve the Spirit in my life?  Directly, actively?  A good question to seek... a few related answers (some in the form of more questions) below.

1) I'm reading Henri Daniel-Rops' Saint Paul: Apostle of Nations.  HDR takes the book of Acts and reformats it, so to speak, into a biography of St. Paul.  Little details are filled in, including portraits of the ancient cities Paul visited.  An interesting fact?  Nowhere in Acts does Jesus change Saul's name to Paul.  Saul was his Jewish name, and apparently as was customary in those times, some Jews had Greek names.  Anyway, it's impressive to read the story of the early Church.  The almost reckless abandon with which they dedicated their lives to preaching... the boldness and vitality of the Apostles is inspiring.

2) One point I remember from classes is that the same Holy Spirit that is the Third Person of the Trinity is the same Spirit that opened the eyes of the blind and raised the dead, is the same Spirit promised by Jesus to the Apostles, is the same Spirit that drove the Apostles to the ends of the earth... is the same Spirit that we received in the sacrament of Confirmation.  Say it with me, Keanu:

3)  One of the answers to my beginning question (how do I involve the Holy Spirit more directly in my life?) had a partial answer in a devotional booklet.  Presentation Ministries has a great devotional booklet called "One Bread, One Body."  You can access it here.  What really struck me the other day is this post, which says to dive into the Scriptures to know the Holy Spirit.  One of those obvious points that I often forget.

4) "Veni Creator Spiritus" is a beautiful chant.

5) Another illumination regarding the Holy Spirit was from this morning's Gospel reading.  John 14:26 reads "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."  Part of the Holy Spirit's function within the Church is to teach.  The learning that we need as Catholics covers a lot of area and isn't confined to theology.  We need to know our faith (see 1 Peter 3:15); we need to learn how to love others; we need to learn to love ourselves and fight the interior battles in developing sanctity and virtue; we need to learn how to be a light to others.  Come, Holy Spirit, and instruct us!

6) & 7) Having a tough time finishing the last two quick takes.  Let's pray for the Church!


No comments:

Post a Comment