Friday, October 9, 2015

7QT: anniversary edition, 10/9/15

On our honeymoon in Ireland



1) Today, my wife and I celebrate our 5th anniversary.  I didn't know what to expect when I got married, but it's exceeded everything I thought it would be.  I never thought I could love someone so much!  I'm a blessed man to have her; I can't imagine my life without her.

2) Our little boy is almost 9 months old, and it's been a joy to watch him grow.  When I get home from work in the evening, I have about an hour with him.  I usually play with him (also known as distracting him so that my wife can get things done).  It's truly the highlight of my day.  HOW COOL IS IT HAVING A CUTE LITTLE GUY????  Yes, that's me shouting.  It's that cool.

3) I am taking a long weekend to attempt to recover from the biggest project I've ever worked on.  I was on a small team that coordinated the move of a three-story building into two new buildings.  The amount of details was burdensome and the stress was worse than anything I can remember.  Although the message we tried to get across to our fellow employees was...

...for some folks, it turned out more like this:


I've worked on many smaller-scale moves for work before; I forgot the #1 rule of moves.  Some people can't deal with change and it makes them stressed.  Then they make sure you know that they're unhappy.

4) I have another article up on the Cora Evans blog, this one on a piece of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa.  I hadn't looked at the Summa in quite a while.  Part of my assignment was to comment on why the Summa still has value to modern-day Catholics.  I hadn't thought about it before, to be honest, so it was a good exercise for me.  With those articles, I think I learn much more in writing it than anyone does reading it.  Did you know the entire Summa is online at New Advent, along with the old edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia?

5) Back to the anniversary.  Today is also the feast day of Bl. John Henry Newman, a towering intellect of the 19th century.  Let me present reason #567,923 that God loves and cares about me...

a. Erin wanted to have a fall wedding, so we looked at October.  In 2010, Oct. 2 was a Saturday, and a really neat feast day: the Guardian Angels.  We were just about to book the date when a friend from back home sent out their save-the-date cards... for that very day.  We had some mutual wedding guests, and I really didn't want said guests to have to pick between attending a wedding 15 minutes away versus a wedding 550 miles away.  Erin and I went with the following Saturday, the 9th, avoiding the temptation to have the wedding on Sunday, 10/10/10.


b. I wrote my masters thesis on Bl. John Henry Newman--and finishing my degree was the occasion of my meeting Erin.

c. In September 2010, Pope Benedict XVI went on a trip to England.  Among other things, he beatified  John Henry Newman.  Long after our wedding date had been chosen, weeks after the invitations had gone out... Pope Benedict named October 9th as Newman's feast day.

6) If you're up for a thick but great read, pick up Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua.  It was the primary source material of my thesis.  There are many editions out, but you could also read it for free if you wanted to.  Newmanreader.org has all of his written works and collections of his sermons.  The book is fascinating, as we gives us a guided tour of his soul.  The "chapters" are divided among the various periods of his life.  Originally, each chapter was a pamphlet, and they were published one by one.

Because Legos have always been cool...
...and will always be cool
7) The Dodgers start their playoff series tonight against the Mets.  Let's go Dodgers!  Get out the rally bananas!  (no, that's not something dirty, I promise)  Clayton Kershaw is pitching tonight and he has some making up to do after the last few postseasons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment