Tuesday, December 11, 2012

(light bulb) Ding!

It’s amazing what happens to your day when you throw in a little fasting.  I’m not talking about fasting from food, in this case.  In an effort to take advantage of Advent (spiritually, that is), I started fasting in three little ways yesterday morning.  

I don’t say that to be vain; I have plenty of that already.  It’s more an observation, or perhaps an insight into what a stiff-necked person I am.  Okay genius, countless saints and doctors of the Church cited fasting as indispensible to the spiritual life.  If that weren’t enough, Jesus Himself said after casting out a demon, “this kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.” (Mark 9:29) 

Ah, so slow to catch on.  On Monday, I noticed a big change in my day.  There was more peace and less stress.  I could focus at work better than normal.  Internally, I complained less.  Granted, I was a little more disposed to fasting because of the somber events of the weekend.  I understand that the rubber will really meet the road when I try to do this stuff on a bad day, or worse, on a day when I’m apathetic to it.  

Another light bulb went on.

By fasting I was fighting the good fight (cf. 1 Tim 6:12).  And, it was made clear to me, I’m in a fight.  For me, I particularly fight with laziness.  It starts with getting up for work as late as possible.  Then it continues when I race to work (occasionally cursing at a slow driver and frequently cursing lights not in my favor) to arrive barely on time.  It affects my eating habits—if I see it, I want to eat it because I’m too lazy to say no.  It affects my prayer life—I become more prone to think “hmm, what’s on TV?” rather than say the simplest prayer.    

In the battle for virtues & vices, in which my soul hangs in the balance, I wasn’t on the offensive... or the defensive!  Yesterday I realized wasn’t picking up my armor until later in the day, if at all.  The evil one?  He begins his onslaught when I open my eyes.  

I’d be willing to bet Fr. Jerome has something to do with this.  Pray for us!

“For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.  Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shot your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; above all taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one.  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Eph 6:10-17 (RSV-CE)

No comments:

Post a Comment