Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rest in Peace, Fr. Jerome


Listening to this song while writing this.  Click on this link, go to #93 on this song list, "Ned of the Hill."

It really hurts, I can't believe he's gone.  Fr. Jerome lived with cancer for at least 8 years--perhaps more. In talking with one of my classmates, we both think he was diagnosed a little earlier than that, and the seminary community didn't know.  When I had him for Moral Theology, he frequently missed class because of the treatments.  It's a shame, too; he was one of the wisest people I've ever met.  He'd often stop in the middle of his lectures (which he generally read) and cite a work of literature.  It impressed me so much!  I don't have the best memory and I don't always retain what I read.  He was incredibly smart and learned--a Harvard man.

In this I also wanted to share some memories.

-He was an amazing confessor!  He really knew me.  As an example... when I confessed something having to do with self-confidence problems, he gave me the following penance: write down 50 gifts you have/things you're good at.

-He was very holy, and said Mass beautifully.  I never saw him any more serious than he was while celebrating the Mass.  Yet it wasn't a bad thing.  For me, it had connotations of awe, gravity, and humility; not sterility, rigidity, or mechanichity (??).

-Man, did we laugh.  Our spiritual direction appointments during the last four years we joked and laughed so much!  He had a great sense of humor and our senses of humor were similarly geeky.  He was sharp and had a great wit.  During one year at the seminary, he was vice rector for the college.  He wasn't a good fit for that... didn't have a lot of patience for the college guys.  During a seminary conference (this one a housekeeping kind of meeting), he got up, made the announcements he had to make, and then said, "I'd like to thank the residents of 2nd floor Anselm for shortening my stay in Purgatory."

-He loved Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and many other things.  We once watched "Jonah," the Veggie Tales movie.  He actually put Lord of the Rings on the suggested spiritual reading list.  I'm really grateful that he did!  Not only is LOTR a fun series that's a good story... enjoyable even on the most superficial level.  It's a profoundly Catholic work.  I thank Fr. Jerome for introducing that to me!

-During the summer of 2006, I was working at my summer assignment as a hospital chaplain intern.  The preceding school year hadn't been a smooth one.  I had a couple months' worth of nasty cell phone bills; I talked with Fr. Jerome about all the anguish I was having, wondering about whether or not to continue as a seminarian.  He wisely guided me through that; he was also firm with me, pulling no punches.  (yet in the gentlest way)  I have told this to Erin before, and it bears repeating: if not for Fr. Jerome's guidance, I wouldn't be married to Erin today.

-I got to hear him give talks many times in the seminary, whether it was a homily, a conference, or part of a retreat.  In one particular retreat, he gave a talk on suffering.  I can't really remember the contents of it, but it was probably the best talk I've ever heard on the subject.  What made it so good is that it came from authentic human experience (as opposed to fake human experience?  or robotic human experience?  you know what I mean).  One time after his Ash Wednesday talk, I asked him for a copy of it.  I still have it today, and it was great!  Just about a month ago, after rereading the talk, I emailed him and asked him for a copy of everything he'd ever written.  Why not shoot for the moon?  He said he'd want to go through things before doing that but thanked me for the compliment.

-He just missed the premiere of "The Hobbit."  :)  If I had the chance to see him before he died, I would've told him that and he would've laughed.

How beautiful it is that he dies on the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, the day he was ordained a priest!  If I knew how to sing it, I'd sing the Te Deum.

I can't thank God enough for the blessing that Fr. Jerome was to me.  Please pray for us, Fr. Jerome!

8 comments:

  1. John, I have very similar memories of Fr. Jerome as well. One of the incidents that sticks out for me was the time he had to address the necessity of closing ones blinds in the dorm rooms of Aquinas so as to not offend the sensibilities of the guests. In fact, I took his note off the 24-hr board and copied it because it was so funny. Here it is, if you don't remember it...

    A MODEST PROPOSAL
    Averte oculos meos ne videant vanitatem...Psalm 118:37

    It is generally, agreed upon that the seminarians resident in Aquinas Hall are noteworthy not only for their probity of life but for their masculine pulchritude. It has been brought to my attention by Father Michael, however, that guest and others who are making their way to Aquinas Hall are shocked when looking upon the facade of the building to see seminarians in various states of undress. This applies, of course, to those students with, if you will pardon the expression, a "southern exposure." This unseemliness seems to occur most often when the aforesaid guests and others are coming to break their fast. While the display afforded them may not result in what the canonists and moralists call quaedam commotiones carnis, i.e., "certain motions of the flesh" it does have the result of a serious loss of appetite at the very time when these defenseless persons are preparing to tie on the old feed bag. For this reason, I am asking all the seminarians whose rooms with a view open on to the hilltop to CLOSE THEIR BLINDS during their matutinal titivations and other times when they imitate the vesture, if not the virtues, of Adam in his original state of justice.

    Fr. Jerome, O.S.B.

    P.S. Those students resident on the north side of the building are asked only to be mindful of the sensibilities of the cows and chickens of the valley whose nutritious products grace our plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fr. Robert, that's awesome! That's one of the things I loved about him. Why post a simple "close your blinds" note when you could post something like that? It's great!

      Delete
  2. Maybe some Buck-you-up-o at Dairy Queen today... And a horn honk ("Shave and a haircut, two bits") as we pass the Carmelites to startle them if they were just on the edge of contemplation...
    --David Jaspers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, John.
    This is Joseph, and we do not know each other.
    I just received the news of Fr. Jerome and somehow came to your post here through one of my priest friend's link.
    Through my years in Mount Angel, I did not get to know Fr. Jerome as well as you did, but still much more than that was my respect for him. As you wrote, he was truly an authentic man.

    I am posting a comment here to ask you for a favor. Would you share the writings of his with me? I really appreciated his homilies and talks.

    My email address is
    sadad24@hotmail.com
    So please write to me regarding this matter.

    Let us keep him in our prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, I only have that Ash Wednesday talk... and it's on paper. I'll get it scanned this week sometime and email it to you. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, John! I will be waiting for that!
      And if you remember Fr. Paschal Cheline, his health has not been so good recently. So let us keep him in our prayer as well.

      Joseph

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the memories of Fr. Jerome. I would love to hear more. Maybe some of the former seminarians and priests might compile some writings and memories of him. If so, please share! I think I may have read his Ash Wednesday talk previously. Would you mind sending it again? Also, any thoughts he shared with you on suffering. Thanks, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mom, yes, I'll scan that talk and email it to you sometime this week. Hopefully with the number of his former students & spiritual directees, more talks, etc. will surface.

      Delete