Friday, October 17, 2014

E-Book Club - "The Lord" ch. 4

One of the good lines in this chapter helps me understand a passage that I've never fully understood.  When Jesus descends into the Jordan to get baptized by John, and John initially refuses--Jesus responds, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfil all righteousness" (Matt 4:15).  It obviously made sense to John at the time, since he proceeded to baptize the Lord of Lords.  

Guardini had a brief line to describe this scene: "But Jesus insists on placing Himself completely within human law." (pg. 20-21)

Also, it's good to be reminded how intricately woven Jesus & John's lives were.  Since John was killed in the early part of Jesus' public ministry, we don't hear about him as much as the other disciples.  Guardini's narrative puts a few things together: John's disciples questioning about fasting, Jesus' disciples' jealousy at John's baptizing, and Jesus' disciples request for prayer lessons.  I didn't think about it before, but those two circles probably interacted more than we're told in the gospels.  That makes sense, as 1st century Palestine was only so big... 

On pg. 22, the difficulties of the prophetic life are described, and this, too, didn't occur to me before.  I'll have to read 1 Kings 17-19 like Guardini recommended.  

2 comments:

  1. I loved the closing words of this chapter, "John understood." Stuck in prison and frustrated, I think he must have felt the fire to continue his mission but at the same time discouraged for a job not yet completed. "In reality even a prophet's life is shaken by all storms and saddled with all weaknesses." (Pg. 25) John may have needed encouragement from the One he proclaimed. Hence the request relayed to Jesus, asking if he is the one to come or if he should wait for another.

    How comforting for him to have heard the words from Jesus from the Old Testament! He was not scandalized, rather he trusted and was at peace. He must have thought a lot about the day at the Jordan. Memories to savor in his last hours. The OT prophesies must have fell into place and he understood.

    How often are we called to a particular vocation or mission? We may think in terms of a start, a middle and a completion. The challenge for me is to consider my mission(s). Am I called to complete something or just be a precursor or beacon to another on a similar journey? As the author stated, "It could only mean that his particular vocation was to lead the way to the promised realm, to direct others to it, but in some special sense to remain without." (Pg. 28) John was content with his role, ".........He must increase, but I must decrease." (Jn 3:22-30) So the question for me is, am I content with my role while on my earthly journey? Will I be able to let Him increase while I decrease? It is challenge for all of us both to discern and to follow through.

    ReplyDelete