Sunday, May 18, 2014

7 Quick Takes, Sunday Procrastinator Edition 5/18/14




--- 1 ---
I'm amazed at how time goes by.  Christmas and the new year doesn't seem that far in the past, but it's nearly the end of May and June is a week and a half away.  There are a few things I'm really looking forward to this summer: the opening of the Volcanoes' season (short season, single-A baseball), a sacred music concert I just read about featuring "In Mulieribus", a family vacation to Utah, and lots of sun that will make our roses bloom.  
My current read is a book by Msgr. Ronald Knox, an English priest from the previous century.  In Soft Garments is a collection of his conferences to Catholic students at Oxford from 1926-1938.  They're not extremely long, they're sequential, and so far enjoyable.  I half-expected him to write like Tolkien, Lewis, or Chesterton--dense and profound, though simple.  Not so, ol' chap!  Knox is very down to earth and the lectures have a familiar, friendly tone.  

--- 3 ---
Although I have enough books in my library to last me a while, I still drool over new titles that come out.  One is a new collection of Joseph Ratzinger/Benedict XVI's writings on the liturgy.  Yes, it's 700 pages and yes, I have a similarly-large collection of his writings on ecclesiology (from a theology class) that I have barely touched since I got it... and is it really something I would read?  (really, a silly question for a bibliophile)  It would look awfully good on my shelf.  How long until Christmas?

Another book I'd really like to read is Jason Evert's new book on St. John Paul II.  It's easy to take someone for granted... how many of us appreciated St. JP2 while he was here on earth?  So many people have wonderful stories about him; the more I read about him, the more I come to love him.  A phenomenal pastor, holy guy, man of prayer, great love-r of the Church.

We were blessed to have dinner with friends on two separate occasions this week.  A fantastic homemade meal and then dinner at Red Robin.  What would life be without friends to share it with?  

There's a fundraising golf scramble coming up in August for the Fr. Bernard Youth Center, a special charity to me.  Anyone want to sponsor me?   Millionaires, how about you?  Check out FBYC!

--- 7 ---
Baseball season means fantasy baseball in my in-laws' family.  If you've never played in a league, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything so frustrating.  Injuries are plaguing my team, not to mention a lack of power hitting.  And when do you give up on an underperforming player?  (I'm looking at you, Jose Reyes)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment