Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Review of Jennifer Fulwiler's "Something Other Than God"

I've been a reader of Jennifer Fulwiler's Conversion Diary blog for a few years.  I really like her writing style--informal but articulate, substantial and light-hearted, and humorous.  Over time she'd post about a book project, until last month when the book was finally published.  Although I'm not too interested in a banana suit, I did want to enter the contest by writing a book review. 

Unlike myself, Jennifer posts quite a lot on her blog; sometimes three posts a week.  (?!?!?)  In a totally non-creepy way, I feel like I know her a little from her writing.  After all, she shares personal details about her life, her family, and her faith.  Reading Something Other Than God was somewhat similar, except it was a side of her that I'd forgotten about.  For years I've read her posts about Catholic this, pro-life that (except when it comes to scorpions), or her journey away from atheism.  In SOTG, it was really interesting to see Jennifer as a non-believer.  We all know folks who are non-believers to varying degrees, but we don't often get a chance to step inside their head.  SOTG is worth reading for that purpose alone!

Aside from that, here are a couple other reasons to read the book:

1) Gaining a deeper appreciation of marriage
On her blog, Jennifer's posts would allude to her husband, Joe.  I couldn't remember exactly how much he's been mentioned.  In SOTG, however, he's necessarily a big part of it.  (is it my bias, paying more attention to the role of the husband?)  There were times that he pushed her, and vice versa.  Just like I wouldn't be where/who I am without my wife, Jennifer's spiritual journey in SOTG depended in large part on the love, support, and companionship of her husband.  Thank the Lord for the spouses He blesses us with!

2) What Catholic that's even remotely humble doesn't like a good conversion story?
Faith is something easy to take for granted!  And God is so close to us that we're often blind to His handiwork.  A good conversion story like this is a great reminder of what we often forget and take for granted.  SOTG isn't a theological treatise; it's not the life of a saint.  It's the story of a real person who struggled with the same things many people struggle with.  It doesn't take place in an idyllic setting, a convent, or a monastery.  Jennifer is a laywoman, wife, and mother living in Texas.  Her ideals had to shift, not to mention her priorities and her & Joe's business aspirations.  Is God absent amidst medical issues?  Financial issues?  No way--it just takes the eyes to see it.

Check the book out, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment