Saturday, January 31, 2015

7 Quick Takes: Looking Forward Edition, 1/31/15



Having a newborn in the house is, as advertised, a great way to cut down on sleep.  It's also given me more cause to look ahead; I'm excited to see how he grows up, what he'll look like, what his personality will be, and so on.  Here are my quick takes this week of other things I'm looking forward to: 

1) There are a lot of good events for Catholic men in the near future.  At the end of February, there's a brief men's conference in Pendleton: Go West Catholic Men.  I can't help but hear some theme music in the background... 

Okay, no, there isn't any horse riding or shooting (although either of those might boost attendance).  I'm not sure I'll be able to attend, but I have in years past.  It's worth the drive to Pendleton!

2) I've had a history of failed attempts at starting up a book club; the timing never seems to be right.  I began reading Guardini's The Lord and writing about it on this blog--it was neat to discuss it with my mom (the only commenter.  Hi Mom!).  It so happened that one of my failed attempts to start a book group for Advent turned into an actualized book group for Lent!  We'll be reading the second volume of Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth, which covers Holy Week and the Resurrection.  

3) I'm also looking forward to the continuing release of Marvel's Star Wars comics.  They use the original trilogy characters (the best!).  There's a series for all the heroes together; there will also be individual series for Darth Vader and Princess Leia.  It's sort of a rediscovery of my childhood... I wasn't "into" comic books at the time.  Now I get to be a kid again!  

4) Speaking of Star Wars, I'm still eagerly awaiting the release of Episode 7... in 11 months.  It was mentioned in a recent episode of Parks & Recreation: a company slipped a contract item past Adam Scott's character, Ben, by sending it to him on the opening day of Episode 7.  

5) I had my first article published about a month ago, here.  Maybe published isn't quite the right word, but it's an article for a blog.  I received my second assignment, and I'm looking forward to it being done.  It's due in about two days, and here I am writing on my blog...   

6) In a few weeks is the final confirmation retreat at my parish.  I had a great experience at the first one, and the Holy Spirit did not disappoint.  Please say a prayer for the teens that are going on that retreat!

7) My family will be coming into town for my son's baptism.  That above all else is what I'm looking forward to!  And I made it to seven quick takes for the second time in a row... 

For more quick takes, visit www.thisaintthelyceum.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment